2010 to date
Annual production reaches more than 50 million bearings, 180 million bushings and thrust washers.
The final inspection and packing stages are integrated into a process called “Plate to Pack”.
The first laser welding machine for flange bearings is implemented.
In 2013 the polymer coating IROX® wins the PACE Award for automotive innovation.
Lead-free CS-4 bearing wins the PACE Award in 2014.
IROX® enters serial production in Wiesbaden in 2014.
2000 - 2009
Federal-Mogul Wiesbaden GmbH employs 1,600 employees.
Federal-Mogul delivers the first lead-free sliding layer for bearing shells, named G-188. Following the subsequent development of the CS-4 strip, the company becomes one of the first suppliers to deliver a completely lead-free bearing.
In 2007 the Federal-Mogul Wiesbaden hosts the global technology center R&D for bearings.
The development of IROX® polymer coating increases the load capacity of bearings significantly and provides exceptional wear resistance.
1990 - 1999
Glyco’s annual turnover now exceeds 300 million Deutsche Mark.
In 1990 Glyco is acquired by Federal-Mogul Corporation of Southfield, U.S.
The acquisition makes Federal-Mogul the largest bearing manufacturer in the world.
The lead-free materials G-97 and G-98 for GLYCODUR® bushings – dry-running applications – are introduced.
In 1997 Federal-Mogul Wiesbaden GmbH (as the plant is now known) celebrates its 100th anniversary.
1980 - 1989
Over 8,000 different bearings are produced, including bearings for Formula 1.
Introduction of fully automated bearing lines for high volume production. Sputter bearings enter serial production. Development of the first lead-free bearing based on copper, G-149 for metallic bushings.
The plant expands the production area for bushings and thrust washers.
1970 - 1979
Glyco employs around 2,100 employees in Schierstein, producing 140 million parts per year.
Continuous casting and bending technology is introduced along with GLYCODUR® bushings and thrust washers made of polymer coated steel/bronze composite materials.
Glyco receives a patent for a Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) process to produce sputter bearings.
1960 - 1969
Glyco now employs around 1,500 employees and produces over 65 million parts per year.
A sintering line for steel/sinter-bronze composite strip, a bonding line for steel/aluminium-tin composite strip and a line for polymer coated steel/bronze strip, are developed and implemented.
In 1967 the new administration building is built.
Implementation of electronic data processing with a state of the art IBM System 360/30 mainframe computer.
1950 - 1951
Glyco now produces more than 40 million parts per year.
In 1953 a casting line is developed for the production of a steel/lead-bronze composite strip designed for higher load applications. An electro-plating line also allows the production of a three-layer bearing comprised of steel/lead-bronze and a galvanized overlay.
1957 Glyco exhibits at the IAA International Motor Show in Frankfurt.
1940 - 1941
The Glyco plant in Schierstein survives the war without significant damage.
After 1945, production expands to include domestic and agricultural products such as irons and handcarts. A separate nursery supplies the factory kitchen with fruits and vegetables.
1930 - 1939
Glyco’s headcount increases from 200 to over 700 employees during this decade making it the largest bearing manufacturer in Germany.
1933 - Glyco facility now has over 100 machines in operation, its own laboratory and even its own fire brigade.
A new lead-tin-antimony coating line is constructed to produce composite strip for low-load bearings.
1938 - Electronic data processing is implemented with the Hollerith punch card system.
1920 - 1929
Glyco’s product portfolio now includes bearings for machine construction, automotive, marine and engine applications.
Turnover reaches 1.6 million Reichsmark in 1925.
Development of the fi rst bearings constructed from a steel/leadbronze composite material.
1910 - 1919
Management-Buy-out by Felix Daelen, William Loos and Moritz Gaebler in 1915.
Glyco delivers products to large-scale industry for mechanical engineering and the German railways and from 1917 to factories for automotive and aircraft engines.
Glyco is now the largest bearing supplier for automotive and engine manufacturer.
By the end of the decade, Glyco employs 100 employees.
1897 - 1909
Dr. John Edward Stead develops a particularly fine-grained lead alloy and names it Glyco after the Greek word “glystro” meaning “slider”.
1897 – Max Wagner buys these English patents and founds Glyco Metall GmbH.
Glyco hires 10 employees in the first year.
1901 – Glyco is granted it’s first German patent. Until today many others followed.